Wednesday 2 April 2014

Somewhere To Eat

At the moment the wheelhouse is being used as a workshop.  Eventually it will become our living area, with a seating and eating area.  It will also be a working wheelhouse with wheel, chart table and all the other thingy-me-bobs that you need for sailing.  Until that time, as you know we are living exclusively below decks.
We have been eating off trays on our laps, but on Sunday we invited mum and dad over for lunch for Mother's Day and Rob and Emily joined us.  So we needed somewhere proper to eat.  I sent Pete up to the house to collect 'the table'.  Now we do actually have a wonderful huge farmhouse type table that can sit everyone in Tollesbury (okay not quite), but that is too big for the snug.  'The table' is a beautiful oak table that is perfect as it is a fold down table, but opened out comfortably sits six.  But what makes it really special is that it was my grandmother's table and where my Dad ate all his meals as a boy.  It is still in wonderful condition and I love the fact that it is still being used.  It is one piece of furniture that I will never get rid of.  Here it is folded down, covered up and sitting quite comfortably in the corner of the snug :).  Now Pete and I can have some cosy dinners sitting at a table. Emmmm where did I put the candles.......


8 comments:

  1. Lovely : )

    I have the table that my great-grandfather made as a wedding present for my grandmother around the time of the outbreak of the first world war. My problem is that none of our kids have a house big enough to put it in so I'm not sure what will happen to it when I'm gone. My great-grandfather was a chair maker by trade and made chairs to go in one of Queen Victoria's houses. I love the history of the table so I understand your love of your table : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to have a piece of furniture which holds such wonderful memories. Those tables which fold down are ideal for smaller rooms or if you're short on space, my mum and dad have always had those type of tables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would very much like to see the
    engine room and here about what powers your boat ? For all of this domestic stuff is rather weary, don't you know ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo - how fabulous, perhaps your grandchildren will have bigger houses, you never know. And you are almost related to royalty too! Xxx

    Jo - I think kitchens were used to eat in and not posh dining rooms like now xxxx

    Mel - sorry, it's just that's the bit we are concentrating on at the moment. I will get all the facts and figures from Pete, take some pictures of engine and do a special post just for you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have many big things that are inherited, mainly little things. We always use the table when we have visitors but have become lazy and sit eating off our laps when on our own. Let's face it, we see each other all day, every day so come meals times, we don't need to discuss things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fran,
    How nice and I love that it was your grandmother's table. That is so special:) Your barge is becoming cozier with every post.
    Happy Mother's Day!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely family table is a must in a home like yours, Fran. I understand Mel's desire to see the engine room too, but I love your posts about how your home is developing!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. DC - I wish Pete and I could retire and see a bit mire of one another - still our time will come xxx

    Connie - thank you, there are still areas that look more like a building site than a cosy home, but we are trying xxx

    Val - thank you. I think I will do some posts on what makes living on the water different to living in a house though xxx

    ReplyDelete